Friday, October 30, 2009

Devin Harold Aper is HERE!


So, I know this is a little late as far as posting, but it's been a long, yet short week. Dirk and I welcomed our son, Devin Harold Aper, to our now family of 3 last Friday, October 23 at 1:05 pm. He came into the world weighing 9 pounds, 3 ounces, and was 22 inches long!

Here's the story:
I went in for my appt with Dr. Bradley on Thursday (10/22) and they did an ultrasound to determine how big the baby was getting. At that time, they measured him at 10 pounds, 9 ounces. WOW! Dr. Bradley didn't think that was correct, neither did I - but either way, we decided to schedule a c-section for the next day. Since it has been raining, and we knew Dirk wouldn't be in the field, and I was READY to have him, we went for it.

We got to the hospital about 10:30 on Friday, and our c-section was scheduled for 12:30. After getting all set up, getting my IV, having blood drawn, and other fun stuff, a nurse came in and said we got bumped to 3:00 due to a water leak in one of the ORs. They had to keep one OR open for emergencies, and at the time, there were 5 women laboring! Dirk and I were disappointed, but what do you do? So, we sat and watched TV for awhile. Then, at 12:10, another nurse popped her head in and said, "we're back on for 12:30"! WOW! Are you kidding? And the nerves set in - big time!

They took me back to the OR, while Dirk put on his wonderful outfit, and then they brought him back about 12:50. At 1:05, Dr. Bradley pulled out our big boy! Things have been going well, other than some jaudice issues. Devin and I have different blood types, causing more difficulty with him breaking down the billirubin in his blood, and the fact that I'm breastfeeding makes it more difficult as well. He's on a Wallaby, which is a special light to help him break down the billirubin, and we're hoping he'll be off of it after the weekend.

My mom had always told me that I didn't know what love was, until I had a child... and boy was she right! He's amazing, changing everyday - and Dirk and I fall in love with him more and more each day. I want to pause in time and not wish one day or minute away for I know how quickly they grow.


Oh - and just so you know, Devin gets his middle name from Dirk's Grandpa Aper, and my Grandpa Conrady!

No comments:

Post a Comment